Preventing Psoriasis Complications Through Diet
Your diet can have major impacts on your skin, joints, and immune system. Here are some dietary approaches which can enhance your level of wellness and prevent complications associated with psoriasis.
- Drink plenty of fluids. Avoid caffeinated beverages and alcohol as they dehydrate the skin.
- Eat foods rich in omega fatty acids. Flax seeds, hempseeds, and cold deep water fish such as mackerel, sardines, herring, and salmon should be consumed regularly in order to reduce inflammation.
- Eat whole grains. Whole grains to provide your skin with B vitamins which are needed for healing. The B vitamins improve the texture of skin, and help the skin cells to repair themselves.
- Raw nuts and seeds should be consumed once or twice daily. They contain zinc, a nutrient which destroys bacteria and improves oil production in the skin. They are also a good source of the anti-inflammatory, antioxidant vitamin E.
- Fill up on fresh fruits and vegetables. These provide plant compounds which support immune health, enhance the skin’s ability to repair itself, and provide hydration. Garlic and onions are especially helpful. They help protect your skin from damage caused by the sun and air pollution. Vegetables in the cabbage family aid detoxification.
- Include fermented foods in your diet every day. Fermented foods improve the health of the intestinal tract. As a result your immune system functions better. This can aid the elimination of toxins which cause complications of psoriasis. Sauerkraut, yogurt, miso, and kefir are excellent choices.
- Avoid processed foods, especially sugars.
- Other than nuts, and healthy fish, limit your intake of fats.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Consider trying a gluten free diet to see how your body responds to it.
Preventing Psoriasis Complications with Herbs and Supplements
Herbs and supplements can provide symptom relief and support your health so that complications of psoriasis do not develop. Check with your health care provider before starting to use herbs and supplements. Here are some of the most effective supplements and herbs to try.
- Burdock, dandelion, and yellow dock root support the health of your liver, skin, and digestive tract. As a result your immune system functions well, and the health of your skin may improve. Burdock may be consumed as the food gobo. If not, you may take a tea or extract. Dandelion root may be taken as a tea or extract. Yellow dock root is very bitter, so the extract is best. These herbal remedies must be taken consistently for best results.
- Itching and subsequent irritability is due to your body’s release of histamines. Drinking herbal teas which are calming may provide you with comfort. Try chamomile, red clover, chickweed, passionflower, or lavender. Calendula, lemon balm, kudzu, and oat straw are excellent choices too. Drink them individually or in combination. I recommend that they be taken at room temperature for maximum benefit. To make an herbal tea, simply cover one teaspoon of dried herb or one tablespoonful of the fresh herb with one cupful of boiling water. Cover the container. Let the herb infuse for twenty minutes. Strain out the herb and drink the relaxing tea.
- Here is a topical remedy which you can make and apply to lesions. Add one drop of essential oil of chamomile or five drops of lavender essential oil to thirty milliliters of evening primrose seed or borage seed oil. Apply the blend to skin lesions twice daily.
Modern research and understanding of psoriasis and its potential complications is making it possible to understand and treat these conditions more effectively. Stay informed; implement some of the tips listed here; and you will attain, and maintain a healthy level of well-being.